Roasted Corn Chowder with Rum Glazed Shrimp
If you want to make an amazing chowder that tastes like it came from a 5 star restaurant, this is the recipe you need. This was outrageous! The rum glazed shrimp went so well with this chowder and was super easy to prepare. I used soybean paste…easily found on Amazon and it is delish!! The corn was oven roasted and you can find that recipe here. You may also like Grilled Truffle Shrimp and Creamy Bacon Corn Dip.
You may need:
Soybean Paste (This is the one I ordered.)
- 1 lb. shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 2 T. olive oil (more for grilling later)
- ⅓ c. soybean paste
- ¼ c. soy sauce
- ¼ c. Rum
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- Juice of 1 lime
- 4 chives, chopped
- (Optional: Brown 4 slices chopped bacon, remove for garnish and cook the onions in the bacon fat instead of the oil.)
- 1 T. olive oil
- 1 small red onion, diced
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- ½ teaspoon smoked paprika
- ¼ cup chopped sun dried tomatoes (I get these in a bag at Trader Joes, not packed in oil.)
- Corn on the cob; 7 roasted in oven (I removed kernels from 5 and left 2 whole)
- 1 ½ cups chopped yukon gold potatoes
- 4 c. chicken stock
- 1½ c. half and half
- 1½ T. flour
- ¼ cup fresh chopped chives
- extra sundried tomatoes, optional
- Place all marinade ingredients in a ziploc and combine.
- Remove ¼ c. of the marinade for basting.
- Add shrimp to ziploc and marinade 30 minutes.
- Heat an additional 2 T. olive oil in large grill pan over med-hi.
- Cook shrimp, 2-3 mins on each side.
- At end brush with the reserved marinade.
- Top with chives when done. (I removed tails before adding to chowder.)
- Serve as is or add to the Roasted Corn Chowder!
- Heat olive oil in a large stock pot on medium-low.
- Add onions and garlic.
- Season with salt/pepper and smoked paprika. Cook 5 mins.
- Add sundried tomatoes for 2 mins and a little more oil, if needed.
- Add corn kernels, potatoes and chicken stock.
- Bring up to a boil, then reduce to a simmer and cook covered 20 minutes.
- In a measuring cup, whisk the half and half with the flour.
- Pour it into the soup and allow it to simmer on low for 20-30 minutes. Also, add the corn on the cob.
- Taste and add salt/pepper as needed.
- Soup will be nice and thick when done.
- Serve with Rum Grilled Shrimp, chives and extra sundried tomatoes, if desired.
Rum shrimp adapted from Delish
Chowder adapted from How Sweet Eats
An alternative to this chowder is to prepare it as is but skip the shrimp. Instead we de-shelled some cooked lobsters, laid the tails right on top, threw some claw meat into the chowder and added a Sherry floater on top when serving.