A PERFECT DESSERT FOR PASSOVER OR ANY OF THE OTHER 364 DAYS OF THE YEAR!!!
FLOURLESS CAKE PART: PREHEAT OVEN TO 375. LINE A 9X13 PAN WITH NONSTICK FOIL.
IN MICROWAVE MELT:
8 OUNCES BITTERSWEET CHOCOLATE CHIPS
2 STICKS BUTTER
ONCE MELTED, ADD:
1 1/2C. SUGAR
ADD 1C. UNSWEETENED COCOA POWDER AND WHISK TO COMBINE.
POUR IN PAN AND BAKE 25 MINUTES-30 MINS. COOL AND REFRIGERATE UNTIL USING.THEN, CUT INTO BITE SIZE SQUARES.
MAKE HOMEMADE SALTED CARAMEL. THIS CAN BE MADE SEVERAL DAYS AHEAD OF TIME AND PARKED IN THE FRIDGE. THE RECIPE MAKES 2 CUPS. YOU WILL ONLY NEED 1 CUP FOR THIS RECIPE. USE THE REST ON APPLES, ICE CREAM OR JUST WITH A LARGE SPOON! MMMMMM!
SALTED CARAMEL RECIPE-
2 cups sugar
1 2/3 cups heavy cream
2 Tbsp salted butter
3/4 tsp coarse sea salt
Method to make the caramel sauce:
1. Spread the sugar in an even layer in a large metal pot, at least 6 quarts. Set over a moderate heat and cook without stirring, until the sugar near the edge just starts to liquefy.
2. Use a wooden spoon and begin stirring, encouraging the melted sugar around the edges toward the center, delicately stirring up any sugar melting on the bottom as well. The sugar will start to look pebbly as it cooks, but keep going until it is melted completely and an amber color. If you think it is cooking too fast, lower the heat and keep stirring. Be patient.
3. Continue to cook until the sugar turns deep brown. Once brown, take it off of the heat!!!!
4. Time to add the cream but here is my trick….only add a DROP at a time and stir, stir, stir. This will eliminate the seizing of your caramel and you will love me for this trick. Keep adding a drop at a time and stirring until all of the cream is mixed in. Be patient…you have a lot of cream so this will take a few minutes. Once smooth, add butter and salt. Let cool. Will store in fridge up to one month. HA! As if it will last that long…ever!!!! TOO delicious!!
- 4 tablespoons cold water
- 2 1/2 teaspoons unflavored gelatin
- 3 cups chilled heavy cream
- 1 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- Add the cold water to a small bowl, then sprinkle the gelatin over it. Allow to sit for about 10 minutes, until it has set.
- In a small skillet, add about 1/2-inch of water, and heat over medium-high heat. Place the small bowl with the gelatin directly inside the skillet. Stir the gelatin until it is melted, about 2 minutes. Remove the bowl from the skillet.
- In the mixer, use whisk attachment and beat the heavy cream & powdered sugar. Beat on high to soft peaks. Add in the melted gelatin mixture and continue to beat until stiff peaks have formed.
MACAROONS: ADAPTED FROM INA’S RECIPE….
14 ounces sweetened shredded coconut
14 ounces sweetened condensed milk
1 tsp. vanilla extract
2 egg whites
1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
chocolate of your choice for melting (melt chips in microwave in a wide bowl for easy dipping) This part is of course optional… but delish!!!
Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F
Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper to prevent sticking! In a bowl, mix the coconut, condensed milk, and vanilla.
Whip the egg whites and salt on high speed in an electric mixer with the whisk attachment until medium-firm peaks. Fold the egg whites into the coconut mixture.
Drop the batter onto sheet pans lined with parchment paper using a large spoon or an ice cream scoop. Should look like mounds. Bake for 25 to 30 minutes, until golden brown. Cool and dip the bottoms into any type of chocolate you like. Milk or dark! Mmmmmm!!! Add a chocolate drizzle across the tops!
ASSEMBLY: LAYER CAKE PIECES, CARAMEL, WHIPPED CREAM AND REPEAT UNTIL YOU REACH THE TOP OF THE TRIFLE DISH. TOP WITH THE CHOCOLATE DIPPED MACAROONS!!