Have you tried my Magic custard cake yet from this post? How about my Chocolate version? Well, this is third version, equally delish! A reader on my first post had suggested strawberries on top for some added sweetness. I thought that was genius. I decided to macerate the berries to make them extra wonderful and it worked wonders! This cake is perfect with a dusting of powdered sugar and some coffee! Best part? It realllllly is magic! You are using one batter yet this cake turns out with 3 very different layers. You have to make it and eat it to believe it!! Such a fun cake to make!
You will need:
- 8 Tablespoons salted butter-melted and slightly cooled
- 2 cups lukewarm milk
- 4 eggs-separated
- 1¼ cups powdered sugar
- 1 Tablespoon water
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- powdered sugar for dusting
- 1 cup sliced berries
- 1-2 Tablespoons sugar (depending how sweet your berries are)
- whipped cream, optional
- Preheat the oven to 325°F
- Spray 8x8 pan with Pam with flour
- Using whip attachment, beat whites to stiff peaks.
- Set aside and beat yolks with powdered sugar until pale yellow.
- Add butter and water.
- Add flour, mixing well.
- Slowly add milk and vanilla.
- Mix in whites a little at a time until pretty well blended. Some lumps may remain.
- Bake 40-50 mins.
- Top should be browned and center wiggly.
- While cooling, stir berries and sugar and let sit until cake is cooled.
- Once cool, cut squares, dust with powdered sugar and top with berries!
- Add whipped cream if desired!
Cake Adapted from OMG Chocolate Desserts