Copycat Samoa Cookies
Samoa Cookies are very popular and quite possibly everyone’s favorite girl scout cookie. I think I prefer thin mints because I am not a coconut fan but the coconut lovers went CRAZY for these cookies!!!
You may need:
Round cookie cutters
FAVORITE GIRL SCOUT COOKIES
- 1 cup butter, softened
- ½ cup sugar
- 2 cups flour
- ¼ tsp. baking powder
- ½ tsp. salt
- ½ tsp. vanilla extract
- up to 2 tablespoons milk
Dipping the cookies
- 1 bag chocolate chips (dark, semi or milk)
- 3 cups shredded sweetened coconut
- 12 oz. caramels
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons cream
- Preheat oven to 350F. Line a cookie sheet with parchment or nonstick foil.
- Cream butter and sugar. Add flour, baking powder and salt. Add vanilla and milk. Only add a little milk at a time just to help dough come together. U don't want to add too much and make it sticky. Roll dough ¼" thick and cut out circles. (NO cookie cutter? just use a glass upside down) Then u will want a smaller cutter for the center. If u don't have one, try using a straw or skip this part because the filling covers a lot of the center anyway! Bake 12-14 minutes or until lightly golden brown. Cool completely.
- Melt the chocolate chips gently and dip each cookie. Ley on wax paper. I dipped the entire cookie but you can dip just the bottoms if you prefer.
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees and spread coconut on a baking sheet. Bake it and toss often until lightly toasted and golden -about 15-20 minutes. Cool on baking sheet, stirring occasionally. Set aside.
- Place caramels, salt and cream in microwave safe cup and nuke until melted and smooth about 3mins. When smooth, stir in the toasted coconut.
- Using a small spoon or spatula, spread the topping on the still wet cookies. Use any extra chocolate to drizzle across the top! Then u can set in fridge to speed the process of everything firming up.
Would these travel well? We know soldiers over seas.
Auntie Em says
I can’t eat the cookies since they have gluten BUT that topping mixed with chocolate, you can bet your sweet bippie I am going to find something to smother with that!
AWESOME! Thanks for sharing! 🙂
Question? What kind of cream (3tbls cream)whitch one
HEAVY CREAM!! NOT SURE HOW THEY’D TRAVEL WITH CREAM AND CHOCOLATE.
AUNTIE EM, USE CUP4CUP FLOUR FOR GF AND THEY WILL BE PERFECT!!!!
Danielle, have you ever used coconut flour? If so would that substitute for AP Flour? Thanks!
Tammy Rewis says
How many cookies will this recipe make?
Hi! Love the post. By cream you mean heavy cream?
Thanks! Yes, heavy cream!
spring chick says
Oh My goodness! I can surely count on you to post me a recipe to try all the time….Yummy I’ll let ya know how they turn out!
Every GS out there is weeping because you stole their recipe…..THANK YOU! Respectfully,
hahha thanks!!! It’s too bad they sell cookies with partially hydrogenated oils-ironic right?
You can use a clean thimble to cut out the center in those cookies.
Anastasia Fierro says
What kind of caramel and what is it called is it a specific bakers caramel?? Please and thank you in advance 🙂
Bet you could use Keebler fudge stripped cookies for this too, for a quick batch. Sounds yummy. Thank you for sharing 🙂
That sounds like a perfect shortcut-good thinking!!!
Felicia T. says
Excited about trying this recipe with GF flour…. Thanks for sharing ..
Maria T Orozco says
Love get more Recipes please
Melissa Johnson says
Thank you for the recipe, I just purchased two boxes of GS cookies. I am going to try your recipe out on my boyfriend and see if he will be able to tell the difference.
Hugs & Cookies xoxo says
Let me know the winning cookies!