These soft pretzels are homemade and made with yeast! They look complicated but they are actually super easy and so delicious! I made these for breakfast during this corona quarantine and my kids loved them up. (Not quite a typical breakfast food but during quarantine, anything goes, right?!) I would suggest rolling each piece very thin before shaping the pretzels so they maintain there pretzel shape. Either way, they will be scrumptious! The kids can help you make these, too!
You may also like: Fresh Cinnamon Buns!
You may need:
- 3 teaspoons yeast (original called for instant dry yeast but I used active dry yeast)
- 1½ cups warm water (about 105 degrees F)
- 2 T. sugar
- 4 c. flour
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 cup water
- 2 tsp. baking soda
- coarse sea salt or kosher salt
- 4 T. melted butter
- In a large bowl, combine the yeast, water and sugar.
- Stir in flour and salt and knead until smooth by hand.
- Grease another bowl with oil and place dough in bowl.
- Cover with greased plastic wrap let rise for 30 minutes in a warm place. I used the proof option on my oven, if you have that.
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees and line 2-baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Divide the dough into 8 equal parts and roll each into a long skinny rope!
- Then shape into a pretzel.
- In a bowl, mix water and baking soda.
- Carefully dunk each pretzel into this mixture and lay on parchment.
- Sprinkle with salt and let dough rest 10 mins.
- Bake 10 minutes and then brush with melted butter-add more salt, too if desired and bake an additional 5 minutes.
- Brush each hot baked pretzel with a little more melted butter right out of the oven!
Adapted from Recipe Boy