HERE IS THE BEST RUGELACH ON THE PLANET OF RUGELACHS! THESE ARE FILLED WITH RASPBERRY JAM AND MINI CHOCOLATE CHIPS AND SOME WITH STRAWBERRY JAM AND BROWN SUGAR. THEN SPRINKLED WITH A COZY BLANKET OF POWDERED SUGAR!!!! RECIPE COMING! WARNING….THESE ARE HIGHLY DELISH AND HARD TO RESIST!!!
RECIPE FROM INA!!! (SEE BOTTOM FOR MY NOTES ON FILLINGS)
- 8 ounces cream cheese, at room temperature
- 1/2-pound unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar plus 9 tablespoons
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup light brown sugar, packed
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 3/4 cup raisins
- 1 cup walnuts, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup apricot preserves, pureed in a food processor
- 1 egg beaten with 1 tablespoon milk, for egg wash
To make the filling, combine 6 tablespoons of granulated sugar, the brown sugar, 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon, the raisins, and walnuts.
On a well-floured board, roll each ball of dough into a 9-inch circle. Spread the dough with 2 tablespoons apricot preserves and sprinkle with 1/2 cup of the filling. Press the filling lightly into the dough. Cut the circle into 12 equal wedges—cutting the whole circle in quarters, then each quarter into thirds. Starting with the wide edge, roll up each wedge. Place the cookies, points tucked under, on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Chill for 30 minutes.
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
Brush each cookie with the egg wash. Combine 3 tablespoons granulated sugar and 1 teaspoon cinnamon and sprinkle on the cookies. Bake for 15 to 20 minutes, until lightly browned. Remove to a wire rack and let cool.
NOTE: I FILLED MINE WITH RASPBERRY JAM AND MINI CHOC CHIPS. THE REST WERE FILLED WITH STRAWBERRY JAM AND A COMBO OF WHITE AND BROWN SUGARS.