Ooey! Gooey! Chocolate Chip Crust! Caramel! Chocolate! Need I say more? Oh….sea salt! There, I’ve said it all. This tart will make you swoon. The crispy crust with the wonderful caramel and chocolate! Truly, quite a treat. I hope you enjoy it as much as we did!
9 inch Tart Pan
- Cookie Dough
- 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons flour
- ¼ tsp. kosher salt
- ¼ tsp. baking soda
- 6 Tablespoons soft butter
- ½ cup light brown sugar
- ¼ cup regular sugar
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 egg
- 1 cup mini semisweet chips
- Preheat oven to 350º.
- Cream butter and sugars.
- Add egg and vanilla and mix till combined.
- Add dry ingredients and fold in chips.
- Press cookie dough into the bottom and sides of a 9 inch tart pan.
- Bake for about 20 minutes till nicely browned (I tried 25 mins and it was a drop too crisp. It will puff up and fill the pan). As soon as you remove it from the oven, press the bottom flat with the back of a spoon to create room for the caramel.
- Cool completely.
- Caramel Filling
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- ¼ cup + 2 Tbsp water
- ¼ cup salted butter, cut into Tablespoon pieces
- ½ cup heavy cream
- ¾ tsp Maldon salt, optional
- ½ cup heavy cream, heated to a boil
- 4 ounces bittersweet chocolate, chopped or disks
- In a heavy-bottomed large pot, combine sugar and water.
- Put heat on medium high and let sugar melt.
- Stir to help sugar along.
- Once dissolved, stop stirring and let it come to a boil.
- Boil until the sugar is dark amber in color and swirl pot now and again to help it cook evenly.
- Once the sugar is amber add the butter and stir to melt it.
- Remove heat and slowly/carefully pour in the cream.
- Keep stirring until smooth.
- Pour in a glass measuring cup or jar to let cool.
- Add salt if using.
- Cool a bit and then pour into tart shell.
- Chill several hours or overnight.
- Pour hot cream over chocolate and let sit 1 min.
- Stir smooth and pour over cold caramel layer.
- Return to fridge for a few hours.
- Top with coarse salt, if desired.
- This caramel is on the softer side and the tart will "ooze" after being cut, especially if left out. So, keep it chilled and enjoy-I know you will!
Caramel Layer Adapted from Cooking Classy-visit this blog for other awesome recipes!
Leave a Reply