These bars taste as rich and sinful as they look. The perfect treat when craving something sweet! I sprinkled mine with sea salt because we love the whole sweet/salty combo. If you don’t, then skip the salt. It’s completely optional! These bars keep well chilled and will last a while so they are perfect for a make ahead dessert.
Chocolate Peanut Butter Caramel Bars
- ⅓ cup butter, room temperature
- ⅓ cup sugar
- ½ tsp. vanilla
- 1 cup flour
- ¼ tsp.salt
- 1 T. milk
- 7 oz Kraft caramel squares, unwrapped
- 2 T. milk
- 2 T. sweetened condensed milk
- 3 T. peanut butter
- ½ cup coarsely chopped peanuts
- 5 ounces dark chocolate chips (Ghiradelli)
- ½ cup heavy cream
- 1 T. corn syrup
- sea salt for garnish, optional
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Line 8-by-8-inch pan with nonstick foil leaving an overhang for easy removal.
- Beat butter and sugar.
- Add vanilla and salt.
- Add flour.
- Add milk until a dough forms and press into the bottom of your lined pan.
- Prick the bottom several times with a fork.
- Bake 20 mins until browned and let cool.
- Sprinkle peanuts on cooled crust.
- Place the caramels in a pot with the 2 milks and stir on low until melted.
- Add peanut butter.
- Pour this over the peanuts on the crust and spread evenly.
- Chill 30 mins.
- Microwave the chocolate, cream and corn syrup gently until melted.
- Whisk smooth and pour over chilled caramel layer.
- Chill 30-60 before cutting into bars.
- Sprinkle on sea salt if desired.
Adapted from Love and Olive Oil, be sure to visit this blog!
Constance Harrison says
I Love, Love finding New Cooking Practices, Different Ingredients and Views from different People