Filet Mignon with Cognac Cream Sauce
When you want a special dinner, this is it! Not only is this delicious but it is so easy to make. Everyone will think you cooked for hours yet it comes together 1-2-3! The sauce is very rich and complements the filet mignon perfectly. If you have a cast iron skillet, these come out even more special. I used to finish these off in the oven but lately I find they cook to the perfect temperature right in the skillet. You may also love these side dishes: Melting Potatoes and Roasted Carrots.
Pictured below, I made the cognac steaks and topped them with langostino tails (sold at Trader Joe’s) sautéed with butter, oil and garlic.
You may need:
FILET MIGNON SERVED WITH A COGNAC CREAM SAUCE
- 4 filets
- 2 T. butter
- 2 T. olive oil
- ¼ c. chicken broth
- splash heavy cream
- 2 T. good cognac
- Season 4 filet mignon pieces with salt pepper.
- Heat cast iron skillet.
- Add butter and oil on medium.
- Once melted, add filets and sear a couple mins.
- Flip and sear second side.
- Deglaze slowly and carefully with cognac. (Tip: add small amount so it doesn't flame up)
- Add broth and cream, stir to combine sauce.
- Cook until you have reached the internal temp you like.
- Sometimes, we like to slice them right into the sauce.
- Top with chopped chives, salt/pepper if needed.