If you love cake-like brownies, these are for you! The buttermilk makes them extra special, too!
Frosted Buttermilk Brownies
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup butter
- ⅓ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 eggs
- ½ cup buttermilk
- 1½ teaspoons vanilla
- ¼ cup butter
- 3 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 3 tablespoons buttermilk or sour milk
- 2¼ cups powdered sugar
- ½ teaspoon vanilla
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Grease a 15x10x1-inch or a 13x9x2-inch baking pan; set aside.
- In a medium bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking soda, and salt; set aside.
- In a medium saucepan combine water, butter, and cocoa powder. Bring mixture just to boiling, stirring constantly. Remove from heat.
- Add the cocoa mixture to the flour mixture. Beat with an electric mixer on medium speed until combined.
- Add the eggs, buttermilk, and vanilla. Beat for 1 minute (batter will be thin). Pour batter into prepared baking pan.
- Bake about 25 minutes for the 15x10x1-inch pan, about 35 minutes for the 13x9x2-inch pan, or until a wooden toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- In a medium saucepan combine butter, cocoa powder, and buttermilk.
- Bring mixture to boiling. Remove from heat.
- Add powdered sugar and vanilla.
- Beat with an electric mixer on medium to high speed until smooth
- Pour warm Chocolate-Buttermilk Frosting over the warm brownies, spreading evenly.
- Cool completely in pan on a wire rack. Cut into bars. Makes 24 brownies.
- Recipe from BHG