MOVE OVER DUNKIN DONUTS, WE'RE MAKING HOMEMADE JELLY DOUGHNUTS ROLLED IN SUGAR!
- 2 packages 1/4 ounce each active dry yeast
- ½ cup warm water 110° to 115°
- ½ cup warm 2% milk 110° to 115°
- ⅓ cup butter softened
- 1-1/3 cups sugar divided
- 3 egg yolks
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 to 3-3/4 cups all-purpose flour I used closer to 4c
- jelly or jam
- Oil for deep-fat frying
- In a small bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. In a large bowl, combine the milk, butter, 1/3 cup sugar, egg yolks, salt, yeast mixture and 3 cups flour; beat until smooth. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough (do not knead)
- Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 45 minutes.
- Punch dough down. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; knead about 10 times. Divide dough in half.
- Roll each portion to 1/4-in. thickness; cut with a floured 2-1/2-in. round cutter.
- Place on greased baking sheet. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 45 minutes.
- In an electric skillet or deep-fat fryer, heat oil to 375°. Fry doughnuts, a few at a time, for 1-2 minutes on each side or until golden brown. Drain on paper towels. Roll warm doughnuts in remaining sugar. Use pastry bag and long tip to inject jam. Yield: 16 doughnuts.
ADAPTED FROM Taste of Home