This is such a unique recipe! I wasn’t sure how they would actually taste but I am here to tell you they are absolutely out of this world! I saw them on Ina Garten’s Cooking show, The Barefoot Contessa. She made them in an Italian Wedding soup. I changed it up a bit by preparing them as I would regular meatballs and adding my favorite jar of sauce-Rao’s. I also pan fried mine but you could certainly bake them if you prefer! Have you tried Rao’s sauce yet? Wow, I may never make a homemade sauce again after trying it! Check it out at your local food store, Amazon or Target! We have also been enjoying these with just a drizzle of olive oil. These truly are outrageous!
- ¾ pound ground chicken (I have the butcher grind this from boneless, skinless chicken thighs)
- ½ pound chicken sausage, casings removed
- ⅔ cup seasoned bread crumbs
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley leaves
- ¼ cup freshly grated Pecorino Romano
- ¼ cup freshly grated Parmesan, plus extra for serving
- 3 tablespoons milk
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- olive oil for frying
- 1 large jar Rao's sauce (or your favorite)
- For the meatballs, place the ground chicken, sausage, bread crumbs, garlic, parsley, Pecorino, Parmesan, milk, egg, 1 teaspoon salt, and ½ teaspoon pepper in a bowl and combine gently with a fork.
- Form meatballs and fry in a few Tablespoons olive oil to brown.
- Add 1 jar of sauce and simmer on low until fully cooked through.
- (Can also top with cheese if desired and broil 2mins)