Boston Cream Pie Cupcakes
These cupcakes are downright sinful. If you are a fan of Boston cream pie doughnuts then of course, you are going to love these!
You may also love:
You may need:
- 6 T. soft butter
- ¾ c, sugar
- ¼ c. plus 2 T. sour cream
- 2 tsp. vanilla
- 3 egg whites, (reserve 2 yolks for pastry cream)
- 1¼ c. flour
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- ¼ tsp. salt
- ¼ c. plus 2 T. milk
- 2 T. water
- 2 egg yolks
- 6 T. sugar
- 1½ T. cornstarch
- 1 cup + 2 T. milk
- 1 T. butter
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 12 oz semi sweet chocolate chips
- 2 T. light corn syrup
- ¾ cup + 2 T. heavy whipping cream
- Preheat oven to 350°F and line a cupcake pan with cupcake liners.
- In mixer, cream butter and sugar together 4 mins,
- Add sour cream and vanilla extract and mix.
- Add whites and combine well.
- Combine dry ingredients in a separate bowl.
- In a measuring cup, combine milk and water.
- Add half the dry ingredients to the mixer.
- Then add the milk/water and finish with the rest of the dry.
- Fill cupcake liners halfway and bake 15-18 mins.
- Put yolks in a bowl and whisk.
- Put sugar, cornstarch and milk in a saucepan and cook on medium until starts to thicken while stirring constantly.
- Lower heat and simmer 2 minutes then remove heat.
- Add a little of this to the yolks stirring so the yolks don't cook.
- Add the mixture all back into the pot and bring to a gently boil.
- Cook 2 mins while stirring.
- Remove heat and stir in butter/vanilla. Cool.
- Boil the cream and pour over the chips/corn syrup in a heatproof bowl.
- Cover and let sit a few mins and then whisk.
- Chill 2 hours until completely cool.
- Cut out centers and fill with pastry cream. Replace top with a small piece of cake you cut out.
- Pipe on the ganache!
- Ateco tip 844 is the best! Even better than my Wilton 1M!
- Store in fridge.
Adapted from Life, Love & Sugar