My oldest son turned 13 and requested a candy cake. I have made candy cakes before but for a teenager I knew it had to be extra special! Let’s just say he was quite pleased when he saw it!! I used vanilla frosting and dyed it blue. There are a couple pf birthday cakes pictured below. On the charcuterie cake I used toothpicks to insert some candies and cups to hold others. The kids went crazy for the assortment. Feel free to also add mini marshmallows, peppermints, starburst candies, chocolate chips, peanut butter cups, small gumdrops and rainbow sprinkles! If you can dream it, you can add it! You may also love Candy Cake and Cow Cupcake Cake.
Some fun candies I ordered:
Candy Land Cake
- 2 8- inch layer cakes frosted and assembled(You can use boxed but I will include the recipe I used below.)
- 8 kit kat bars for the perimeter
- whoppers attached to Kit Kats with melted chocolate
- Tons of M & M's
- candies of your choice and skewers
- lollipops on sticks
- One the cake is frosted, stand the kit kats up going all around the perimeter.
- Tie with a ribbon.
- Fill top with loads of M & M's.
- Insert skewers and candies
Candy Land Cake-Homemade Vanilla
- 3 cups flour
- 3 cups granulated sugar
- 2 ½ tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 cup unsalted butter room temperature
- 7 egg whites
- 1 ½ cups buttermilk
- 2 Tbsp vegetable oil
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Line three 8" pans with parchment rounds and grease with Pam.
- In a mixer bowl, place the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. Mix.
- Add the butter in on low until crumbly.
- Add egg whites.
- Add buttermilk in two additions.
- Add oil and vanilla.
- Divide into pans. (Can use baking strips for pans if you have, I did.)
- Bake approx 35 mins.
- Cool 10 mins in pan and run a knife around the edges.
- Freeze in pans 30 mins and then flip cake out of pans.
- At this point you can freeze the layers, wrapped until ready to decorate.
- Frost while frozen!
- Once candies are in, you must store this in the fridge or the candy weight will push the sides down.
Cake recipe adapted from Chelsweets.
For his 15th birthday I made him a charcuterie candy cake…yes there is 9×13 frosted cake hiding under all those candies!