Yes, it sounds a bit different, wild…but it is phenomenal!!!! This is a cake you just have to go for and trust in the cake process. It is moist,rich , delicious and topped with the best chocolate frosting whipped to perfection!
This is the June post of Two Sweetie Pies! It is that delicious time of the month…Liz from That Skinny Chick Can Bake and I whip up something scrumptious from each other’s blog. Today is our reveal day! So…..Waste no time and get baking. This chocolate mayonnaise cake will please a crowd!
You also visit That Skinny Chick Can Bake on…
Chocolate Mayonnaise Cake
- 2 cups flour
- ⅔ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1-1/4 teaspoons baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon baking powder
- 3 eggs
- 1⅔ cups sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 cup mayonnaise I used Hellmann's
- 1-1/3 cups cold coffee
- 10 ounces semisweet chocolate chopped
- 1½ cups 3 sticks butter, room temperature
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- 1 tablespoon vanilla
- chocolate chips for decorations
- Preheat oven to 350°. Grease two 9-inch cake pans, line with rounds of parchment and grease the parchment; set aside.
- In medium bowl, whisk together the flour, cocoa, baking soda and baking powder; set aside.
- In large bowl or mixer, beat eggs, sugar and vanilla on high for 3 minutes or until light and fluffy. Beat in mayonnaise at low speed until blended. Alternately beat in flour mixture with coffee, beginning and ending with flour mixture. Divide evenly between prepared pans. Bake for 26-30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cakes comes out clean.
- Let cakes cool about 20 minutes, then remove to cooling racks (remove parchment if it's stuck to the cakes) to cool completely.
- Place chopped chocolate into a microwave safe bowl. Microwave, stopping to stir frequently, until chocolate is melted and smooth. Let the chocolate cool until lukewarm, stirring occasionally.
- Beat butter in large bowl until smooth and creamy (I used my stand mixer with the paddle attachment). Sift powdered sugar over butter and beat until well blended, about 2 minutes. Beat in vanilla. Add melted chocolate and beat until well blended, scraping down sides of bowl as needed.
- Frost as desired.
- Add chocolate chips to garnish.