Have you ever tried this treat at the Cheesecake Factory? Well, now you can make your own! Mmmmmm!!!!!
- 2 cups milk, warmed
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 10 ounces extra sharp Cheddar cheese, shredded
- 8 ounces elbow macaroni, cooked
- 2 eggs plus splash milk
- 3 cups panko crumbs (or bread crumbs)
- Oil for frying, enough to fill a skillet to be ½ inch deep
- Preheat oven to 400°.
- Melt butter in a large skillet and whisk in flour until smooth.
- Cook, whisking constantly, 1 minute.
- Gradually whisk in the warm milk, and cook, whisking constantly, 5 minutes tilll thickened.
- Whisk in salt, black pepper, 1 cup of the shredded cheese.
- Stir in pasta.
- Spoon pasta mixture into a lightly greased 2-qt. baking dish
- Top with the rest of the cheese and bake at 400° for 20 minutes.
- Cool mac and cheese and place in fridge until cold.
- Use an ice cream scoop to make ball shapes and freeze on a cookie sheet 1 hour.
- Dip the frozen mac and cheese bites into the eggs/milk and then into panko.
- Carefully fry in hot oil until browned on all sides.
- Top with extra cheese and chives.
Mac and cheese part of this recipe adapted from My Recipes