Homemade apple filling!!! Move over canned apple pie filling, we are making homemade and it is sooo much better. Best part is it is easy, too! No muss…no fuss! Pure delish!
This apple filling is so amazing that I highly recommend it warm out of the pot with whipped cream on top. That is all it needs. Warning: you may eat 3 bowl fulls in one sitting. Of course, you can also use this amazing filling in apple tacos or apple pies! This recipe comes from my friend Holly over at Spend with Pennies. Go pay her a visit-you will adore her recipes, I know I do!!!
- 4 medium apples, I like to use honeycrisp
- 3 tablespoons water
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- ⅓ cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon + 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons water
- Peel apples, core them and slice into small chunks.
- Melt the butter in a pot over medium and add the cinnamon.
- Stir in the apples, sugar & 3 tablespoons water.
- Cover and cook, stirring every few minutes for 7-12 minutes or until slightly soft.
- In a bowl, combine cornstarch and water.
- Whisk in this slurry to the pot and cook another 2 minutes or until thick.
Adapted from Spend with Pennies