Homemade apple filling!!! Move over canned apple pie filling, we are making homemade and it is sooo much better. Best part is it is easy, too! No muss…no fuss! Pure delish!
This apple filling is so amazing that I highly recommend it warm out of the pot with whipped cream on top. That is all it needs. Warning: you may eat 3 bowl fulls in one sitting. Of course, you can also use this amazing filling in apple tacos or apple pies! This recipe comes from my friend Holly over at Spend with Pennies. Go pay her a visit-you will adore her recipes, I know I do!!!
**** IMPORTANT PIE NOTE-If using this to make apple pie, I TRIPLE the recipe below. I also now use a few granny smiths along with the Honeycrisp. I like 9 honeycrisp and 3 granny smith. When tripled mine cooked for about 20 mins.
Homemade Apple Filling
- *Note: For apple pie i triple this recipe
- 4 medium apples I like to use honeycrisp (Granny smith for a few makes it less sweet)
- 3 tablespoons water
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- ⅓ cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon + 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons water
- Peel apples, core them and slice into small chunks.
- Melt the butter in a pot over medium and add the cinnamon.
- Stir in the apples, sugar & 3 tablespoons water.
- Cover and cook, stirring every few minutes for 7-12 minutes or until slightly soft.
- In a bowl, combine cornstarch and water.
- Whisk in this slurry slowly to the pot and cook another 2 minutes or until thick. (You may not need it all)
- Let cool!
Adapted from Spend with Pennies