This strawberry shortcake trifle is a real crowd pleaser. You can go the easy route and use store bought cake and whipped cream…..BUT I highly recommend using the cake and whipped cream recipes below. They are tough to beat!
Strawberry Shortcake Trifle
You will need:
- 1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese
- 1½ cups butter
- 3 cups white sugar
- 6 eggs
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Best Stabilized Whipped Cream
- 4 tablespoons cold water
- 2½ teaspoons unflavored gelatin
- 3 cups chilled heavy cream
- 1½ cups powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F grease and flour a 10 inch tube pan. (I spray mine with coconut oil spray!)
- In a large bowl, cream butter and cream cheese until smooth. Add sugar gradually and beat until fluffy.
- Add eggs two at a time, beating well with each addition.
- Add the flour all at once and mix in. Add vanilla.
- Pour into a 10 inch tube pan. Bake at 325 degrees F for 1 hour and 20 minutes (I baked mine 1 hour 20 mins and then loosely covered with foil for an additional 20 to be sure it was cooked through-this timing was perfect for me-any less and it would have been undercooked. Judge yours as it bakes as oven can vary.)
- COOL COMPLETELY BEFORE CUTTING!
- Whipped Cream
- Add the cold water to a small bowl, then sprinkle the gelatin over it. Allow to sit for about 10 minutes, until it has set.
- In a small skillet, add about ½ inch of water, and heat over medium-high heat. Place the small bowl with the gelatin directly inside the skillet. Stir the gelatin until it is melted, about 2 minutes. Remove the bowl from the skillet.
- In the mixer, use whisk attachment and beat the heavy cream & powdered sugar. Beat on high to soft peaks. Add in the melted gelatin mixture and continue to beat until stiff peaks have formed.
- Assembly: Cut the cake into slices, then cubes.
- Layer cake and whipped cream alternating and add strawberries as you go!