Black Forest Cake Recipe
Black forest layer cake is a traditional German cake recipe. It is one of the best desserts (ignore the calories) and did I mention easy? Oh yes! I even cheated a little-shhh! I used a box mix for my two layer cakes. So simple when you only need to add eggs and few other wet ingredients to your batter. You can, too! I won’t tell unless you are a purist with cakes then feel free to use your favorite chocolate cake recipe and just bake it up in two 8 or 9 inch round cake pans! (Tip: line the bottom of your pans with parchment paper.) I used sweet dark cherries sold in a can. I found them in the aisle with the applesauce—not the aisle with the canned cherry pie filling-go figure! That’s just a tip to save you some time as you navigate the food store aisles. You can use regular whipped cream for this cake but I chose to make the cream the shining star in this cake. I used Mascarpone cheese along with the whipping cream to make it an extra special mixture! I beat it right in my stand mixer along with the whisk attachment. You could also choose a hand mixer to get the job done. I like to beat the cream to soft peaks. You do not need to beat until stiff peaks form. The flavors were just perfect but you could also add a splash of vanilla extract if you want. I garnished my cake with some chocolate shavings but another option is to sprinkle on some cocoa powder. Hope you enjoy my black forest layer cake! Be sure to store any extras in the refrigerator with some plastic wrap because of the whipped cream frosting. You may also love Black Forest Cheesecake and Black Forest Cheesecake Brownies.
Black Forest Layer CakeBlack Forest Layer Cake
- 1 box chocolate cake mix, prepared and baked according to directions for either 2 8-inch or 9-inch pans-your choice!
- ½ can dark, sweet cherries
- 1½ cups heavy cream
- 4 ounces mascarpone cheese
- 2-3 T. sugar (taste for how much sweetness you like!)
- fresh cherries for garnish (Can remove pits from bottom so no one sees!)
- chocolate shavings for garnish
- Beat cream, mascarpone and sugar to soft peaks.
- Lay one cake on cake plate, top with some cherries and cream.
- Top with next cake.
- Add more cream and fresh cherries.
- Top with chocolate shavings (Create using a veggie peeler across the chocolate)