Mississippi Mud Pie Cake
Now THIS is a dessert!!! Yes, it has a lot of steps but if you break it up into 2 days it won’t seem too labor intensive and it is worth every dirty pot, spoon and bowl. A true show stopper! You could easily make the pudding and whipped cream the day before and store them in the fridge. I had some leftover pudding which made a great dessert on its own, too. It has a thick Oreo crust made in a 9×3 pan with removable bottom. I recommend Fat Daddio’s brand for the pan. It works perfectly for this cake and also fo cheesecakes. A flourless cake is then baked inside and it is all topped with homemade chocolate pudding and fresh whipped cream…OMG! You may also love Oreo Hot Fudge Cheesecake and Muddy Buddy Brownies.
You may need:
Mississippi Mud Pie
- 16 ounces Oreos food processed
- 6 T. butter melted
- 4 T butter
- 6 ounces dark chocolate I used Ghirardelli chips
- ¼ cup coffee room temperature
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 T. vanilla
- 6 eggs separated
- 1 c. sugar-divided
- ¾ cup sugar
- ½ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- ¼ cup cornstarch
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 4 egg yolks
- 2½ cups milk
- 3 T. butter
- 2 tsp. vanilla
- 3 ounces dark chocolate chips Ghirardell
- Chocolate shaving-use a carrot peeler on a chocolate bar to create shavings
- whipped cream
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees F.
- Spray a 9 inch pan with removable bottom with Pam and line with a parchment round.
- Mix the Oreo crumbs and butter and press into pan on the bottom and up sides.
- Freeze 10 mins.
- Then bake 10 mins and cool.
- Change oven temp to 350 and proceed.
- Melt butter and chocolate in microwave and let cool.
- Whisk together coffee, salt and vanilla in small bowl. Set aside.
- In the mixer beat yolks with 1/2c. sugar 5 mins.
- Add the chocolate.
- Then add coffee mixture to combine.
- In another bowl, beat egg whites foamy.
- Switch to high and add the other 1/2c. sugar until soft peaks.
- Slowly fold the whites into the chocolate mixture.
- Pour into cooled crust and bake about 40 mins.
- Center will still joggle. Cool on a rack to room temp and then chill 3 hours.
- In a saucepan, whisk together the sugar, cocoa powder, cornstarch, and salt.
- Add yolks and whisk.
- Slowly pour in the milk, whisking constantly.
- Heat this over medium heat but make sure you keep whisking!
- Boil 30 seconds and then pour into a bowl.
- Whisk in the butter, chocolate and vanilla.
- Let cool 15 mins at room temp and press a piece of plastic wrap on top-chill 3 hours.
- Remove cake from pan and place on cake stand.
- Stir pudding and pour into middle of cake-stay within the crust.
- Use an offset spatula to spread it. (I did not use it all-save some for desert tomorrow night.)
- Pipe on cream and garnish with chocolate shavings and cherries, if deired.
Adapted from Baked Explorations Cookbook